Mini Pepperoni Pizza Pancakes
For the batter:
- dry pancake mix (enough to make 12-15 pancakes) this is about 1 cup of dry mix and 1-1/3 cups of water
- 1 pound shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese (make sure to shred yourself ~ large shred), divided
- 1 Tabelspoon pizza seasoning*
For the toppings:
- 5 ounces Hormel mini pepperoni
- 4 ounces mild Italian sausage, cooked and finely chopped
- 1 cup pizza sauce
*If you cannot find Pizza Seasoning, make your own:
- 2 Tablespoons oregano
- 1 Tablespoon basil
- 1/2 Tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1/2 Tablespoon salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon fennel
- 1/2 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 Tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 Tablespoon garlic powder
- Preheat flat top, griddle or pan to 350 degrees F or medium-high heat. Oil the griddle or pan before adding pancake batter. I always oil the pan or my flat top with a paper towel that I douse in oil first. This way there is just enough oil to keep things from not sticking and not being too greasy.
- For the batter, mix together dry mix with the water. Add 1 cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese and pizza seasoning. If the batter is really thick add a 1/4 cup water and stir. Add more if needed. You don't want the batter to be overly thick once you add the cheese.
- Using remaining cheese, start by placing one tablespoon of cheese on the griddle. It will start to melt right away. Pour 1/8 cup of batter on top of the cheese. Immediately add pepperoni and sausage to the top of the pancake. Turn once there are lots of bubbles, just like when you make regular pancakes. Flip over and cook until done. The bottom side with the cheese will be crispy, this is what you want.
- Remove from griddle and sprinkle each pancake with a 1/2 Tablespoon of mozzarella cheese. Place pancakes on a tray.
- Serve immediately with pizza sauce for dipping.