backyard to get the "authentic " fireside taste, but there are alternative ways to make them.
You can get a S'more Maker like the ones pictures ( you can purchase these and several different models from Amazon.com , thought I like Hershey's S'more maker the best). If you don't want to buy one, yoou can make your own with one sterno in a flower pot ( cut a piece of chicken wire to fit top) or put one sterno in the bottom of a mug and put an apple core utensil ( get one at dollar store or kmart if you dont already have one ) on top to act as a grate.
If all of that takes too much effort you can make them in the microwave ( just want them as it only takes a few seconds to melt) or turn on the broiler and set each marshmallow on a graham cracker and broil them until toasty. Then you can flip them over and get the other side toasted, and it will be just like a real campfire marshmallow!
The following are a view really good S'more variations
To prep the pecans, you put pecans in a pan on the stove with a handful of brown sugar. Toast them up on medium heat until the sugar melts and then dump them on a sheet of greased parchment paper. Make some extras, they’re good for munching.
Nutella Banana Cream Pie
Coconut Cream Pie
Just use instant or cooked chocolate pudding instead of the chocolate bar.
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Pretzel Crisps (pic top right) . Both of these you can get in a regular grocery store, though with the Prezel Crisps you may have to go to a specialty one like Whole Foods or Trader Jo's.
If some of these are a little to "fancy" for you, then try the following updates to the traditional S'More.
Lemon Meringue Pie S’mores: Use lemon pudding or lemon curd, marshmallow & grahamcrackers..taste just like the pie.
Chocolate Covered Strawberry S’mores: Chocolate Grahamcrackers, strawberry marshmallow and dark chocolate.
Cinnamon Roll S’mores: Cinnamon Grahamcrackers, chocolate, cinnamon marshmallows and cream cheese frosting ( in can) in place of the chocoloate bar.
Instead of Graham Crackers, use:
- Chocolate Graham Crackers
- Thin Nabisco Chocolate Wafer
- Jules Destrooper Butter Crisp or any wafer crisp ( I just prefer this brand)
- Thin Brownies ( can bake a pan from box mix, just layer about 1/2 in thick)
Instead of plain chocolate/ marshmallow filling, use:
- Andes Mint , marshmallow & wafter of choice
- Graham crackers, Strawberry slices and dark chocolate
- Peanut Butter, Marshmallow and thin Nabsisco Chocolate Wafters
- Graham crackers, a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup (or Nutella), sliced banana, and marshmallow.
- Gingersnaps ( instead of Graham crackers), a caramel-filled chocolate square, and marshmallow.
- Thin cookie ( store bought or homemade) of choice ( prefer Chocolate Chip or Oatmeal-Raisen), chocolate and marshmallow
- Peanut-butter cookies with Nutella, sliced banana, and marshmallow.
- Bounty or Mounds ( coconut middle) chocolate bar , marshmallows, wafers of choice